Penelope

Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Tiny Silver Book


I just finished reading A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs while I was on Christmas vacation. I had bought it for my Sony Reader several months ago, but had put off reading it. I have read all of his books, and while I find many things about them disturbing, I am compelled to read whatever he writes. The story of his childhood was made into a movie, not a great movie, but kind of predictable.
I love a good story and Augusten ( and I feel I can call him by his first name because if he knocked on my door, I could talk about anything he has ever written) is brutally honest about his childhood, his parents, his brother, his friends, the people who influenced him, his drinking, his work in advertising, his sexuality...everything.
When I first started to read his book, Running With Scissors, I wondered how in the world his father could let his mother make the decisions she did, concerning his living arrangements. Now I have a better idea. And I am saddened by his life. I truly want to invite him over for dinner.
His earlier books featured his father as this shadowy person, not in the picture, on the outside, looking in, if he cared. This book is all about his father and his mind games. That is all I am going to say because you may want to read him.
I heard Sellevision is being made into a movie...let's hope so!
And even if you don't read this book, read a book, read any book, tell someone about what you read and share the book with them!
Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Melinda Speece said...

I am reading Solzhenitsyn's The First Circle (again). In this season of tiny children, my reading is more like my music-listening habits---I read/listen to what I already know. Happy Reading!