Penelope

Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Tiny Silver Pumpkin





I love the Fall season. A little football, the leaves on the trees turning yellow, orange and red, the wind blowing through the trees in my backyard, needing a light jacket in the morning ( although I am still wearing sandals!), and of course, a trip to the pumpkin patch.
I always loved going on field trips with Chelsea's classes, visiting the pumpkin patch, running through the field to find the perfect pumpkin. Riding on the big haywagon, sliding on the bales of hay...sneezing, sneezing and sneezing!!!
Once the pumpkin is home, the time comes to decorate...do we carve it or paint it? I've carved them in a simple triangle-eyed jack 'o lantern, I've carved complicated patterns where you put the paper pattern on the pumpkin, poked the holes and carved out the design. ( Hint: If you do this, rub some flour over the holes before carving and the holes will show up better, making it easier to carve!)
Someone ( a four year old)once told me that we are like pumpkins: God scoops out the sloppy stuff and puts his light in us.
But my favorite way to decorate the pumpkins is to paint them. I'll admit this is far more appealing to me because I love to paint and I don't like scooping out the insides!
Our youth group went to Belvedere a couple of weeks ago and brought back pumpkins to paint with the children at church. Some people painted in an abstract style, some painted actual faces, some mixed all of the colors together and scooped the paint on the pumpkin, allowing it to drip down the sides.
No matter what the painting style, the children enjoyed the painting and the drying room was quite a site to behold.
So, this year on Halloween, no matter how you celebrate...trick or treating, haunted houses, football games, greeting little goblins or spending the night at home watching scary movies...have fun, be safe and let your light shine!!!

No comments: