Penelope

Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Tiny Crayon



Our church is fortunate to host ESL classes two days a week. There are about 25 children who accompany their parents to the classes. There are tiny babies, toddlers and pre school aged children. Call it a God moment, but the first day of class, having a little extra time on my hands, I stopped by the church to see if they needed an extra pair of hands to help with the children. Some of the children participated in the day camp where I volunteered this summer, so I was excited to see them. Some of the children were playing with toys, several were crying and a few were sitting over by the wall, with wide eyes, taking it all in. After a few days of this, my friend Courtney and I thought we might take the older children into the next room and work on some simple learning skills. Learning the alphabet, counting to 10, recognizing colors and shapes and maybe sing a song or two.

Courtney printed off some coloring sheets, I brought some simple books and flash cards and our version of preschool was born! Each morning, I cover the table with paper, write the letter of the day in front of each place, write their names and draw some simple shapes. When the children come in, they eagerly reach into the box of crayons for their favorite color and trace the letters, find their names, circle all of the letter e's ( we all have an e in our names)and draw anything we can think of. We especially like to trace our hands. Sometimes we make shapes using craft sticks ( thank you, Melinda, for that idea!) We spend time in the play room and have a snack, hear a story and sing some songs. We really like to sing "The Wheels On the Bus", but then again, who doesn't?!

While volunteering a little time a couple of times a week with 7 or 8 children may not seem like an important way to spend time to some people, I think it may just be where God wants me to be right now. And when I go back to work, I will have to trade my crayons for a nice black pen, but until then, I will be in the moment with Jeta, Miguel, Angel, Lalo-Edwardo, Renesse, Estella and Faines and color with my carnation pink crayon.

1 comment:

Melinda Speece said...

I think there is a good chance that a little bit of "Wheels on the Bus" and the ABCs at this time might change their lives!