Penelope

Monday, October 13, 2008

A Tiny Silver Present


Isn't it fun to receive a present? I know someone who snoops in her husband's desk drawer to look at her Christmas gift. One year, she said that when she saw what he had gotten, she was disappointed and wondered how she could get him to exchange it. A little sad, I guess.

I drove to my parent's house yesterday, an 11 hour trip in the car, alone, on my way home for a funeral. All along the way, I was delighted to find that there were lots of little "gifts" on my journey.

The trees are just starting to change colors, so every once in a while, there would be a blaze of red or orange amidst the green trees. What a gift!

Beautiful purple flowers planted in the median strip. What a gift!

I had my MP3 player on random play and I had lots of fun singing along. What a gift!

The frozen Coke machine was working at the Krystal in Knoxville. What a gift!

I saw a license plate in Knoxville with a "catch phrase" my friend Kimberly and use to greet each other, almost as if she was saying "Hey" to me as I drove along. What a gift!

It was a long drive, but I was driving in a car that is fun to drive! What a gift!

It was a beautiful, bright, sunny day with no rain. What a gift!

When I drove into my mom's driveway, my sister and her family were there to greet me! What a gift!

So, yesterday's gifts were not tangible, well, except for the frozen Coke (!), but I enjoyed each one as the were presented to me. Just some tiny little presents that made my day better. What a gift!

2 comments:

Melinda Speece said...

Even though he is my son, I really love that picture of Jameson! Yes, many gifts over the past few days. In spite of the circumstances, it makes you glad to be a Franklin. Right?

Julia Britton said...

Awwwww, I love this Mel. I drove 10 hours to Chicago over the weekend and I didn't look for the gifts. Course I was talking nonstop to Noah's girlfriend's mom. That was a gift. We covered a lot of territory in the 10 hours up and 10 back! Seeing Noah...best gift of all.