Penelope

Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Tiny Pair of Scissors





Yesterday, I cut sheets of paper into 1" squares, preparing to make another paper quilt. I liked how the first one turned out, it featured a cross design in the center. I made another one of the alphabet to use as the ESL preschool class. The children especially like counting the buttons, calling out the colors, tracing the letters with one pointed finger.

I like the challenge of the layout, mixing colors, patterns and directions. I like bold sassy colors. The next one will be pink and green toile, dots and stripes. There is something really satisfying about repeating shapes, letting a pattern emerge in the overall design. Many tiny cuts make one big quilt.

3 comments:

Melinda Speece said...

From your less crafty sister, how do you make the papers stick together?

Melanie said...

The little squares are glued to a 12" x 12" canvas, using tacky glue. Then I draw on them to outline the edges with some dots and squiggly lines. Then I glued on the letters, mod-podged the whole thing and added the buttons after it was dry. You could use anything for a backing...cardboard, cut up cereal boxes, it is just basically a collage, like my cards! I like using canvas because they hang well, but any flat surface will work! i used to make collages on sheets of newspaper, cutting out magazine photos, and covering the walls of my dorm room...way back in the day! I will say that Speece school inspired my ABC and 123 collage!!!

vieklenz said...

I love it! Would make great artwork for a kids room too!