Penelope

Friday, October 10, 2008

A Tiny Book



I love to read. I love a good story, a beginning, an ending, some back story, some fore shadowing, all of it. A friend introduced me to www.shelfari.com which is an on-line bookshelf where one can post books they have read, books they own, books they are planning to read, reviews, and reading groups. It is a fun way to keep up with your reading list.

I started a reading log in 2000 because I found that I read so many books so quickly, that I would buy the same books, not remembering the title, at times. Looking back at the log, I remember the summer I read ( and re-read) all of the books written by Madeleine L'Engle. All of them, from juvenile fiction to journals to poetry. She is one of my favorite authors and when I recommended "A Wrinkle in Time" to a friend when I was 12, only to be told she thought the book was weird, I was not swayed, but continued to read everything I could find.

Last week I re-read "The Secret Life of Bees" and enjoyed it just as much the second time around. It has been made into a movie, which may or may not capture the spirit of the book, but if you have a chance, read the book. Read a book, any book, read to your children, and if you really like the book you are reading, tell someone. Share the adventure.

Happy Reading!

No comments: