Penelope

Monday, November 3, 2008

A Tiny Envelope



Don't you just love to open the mailbox and find a letter,lovingly addressed just to you? Amongst the bills, circulars, political flyers, magazines, and solicitations, s letter pops out, cream colored envelope decorated with a drawing from an artist I love and admire. Gently opening the envelope, a card is revealed. It is a drawing from my niece, Halina. Using my mad skills as an art interpreter, the envelope is showing a house and a self-portrait of Halina, wearing a groovy dress and some kicky heels. The drawing on the card appears to be a picture of me, also wearing a groovy dress and an assortment of bracelets. Or, it might be Grandmother because there is what may be a golf club and golf ball in the picture!
Halina is four, but draws like an older child. Her figures have a torso, but no neck ( that comes later), two legs, two arms, two eyes, a nose, a mouth, hair, feet and fingers. Her people have feet drawn at different levels, depicting walking or action, which gives them perspective.
I think she is pretty talented, has a good use of color and filled the border area.
All in all, a delightful letter!
I like writing letters, sending cards, sharing news with my friends. I like visiting neat stationery stores, the feel of heavy card stock under a fine writing pen.
So, the next time you think about writing a note, instead of an e-mail, pick up your pen, get out your paper, address the envelope, apply your stamp and let your thoughts flow. I am sure the recipient will love opening the mailbox and finding A Tiny Envelope, just from you.

1 comment:

Melinda Speece said...

Halina and her mom say thanks . . . I'll check about the golf club; it could the princess' wand.