Penelope

Monday, November 17, 2008

A Tiny Little Girl


When one of my little preschoolers wants something, they usually say,
"Can I have?" in a tiny little voice. Hard to resist, epecially when they say,
"Please???"
And usually, what they are asking for is whatever crayon I am currently using or more snack. The crayon is an easy one, I don't mind sharing and more often than not, they are using please and thank you with regularity!
At snack time, I cut up some apples, some bananas, add some little crackers, cheerios, teddy grahams, an assortment for everyone. And like any group of children, some like everything, some only like one thing and they expect me to remember who likes what. Bear in mind that I am the mom of an only child, so remembering what eight little children like can be challenging!
When I first met some of the children, back in June, they would not eat their snack, but would wrap it up. When I asked them why they weren't eating it, more often than not, I would be told that they were taking it home to their mommy. Or a little sister or brother who didn't come to day camp that day. If I handed out lollipops, I would be asked for more to take home.
Now, some might say that this sounds greedy, but the reality is this. Most of the children came to America from a refugee camp. A camp where one family member might be given a handful of food for the whole family, for the whole day. If there was any extra food, it was shared, no matter what it was or how little was left.
At preschool, they have learned that there is always more and plenty to share, sometimes there is lots left over to take home, funny how that works out!
Last Sunday, Josephine came to church with her new baby, Agnes, who is ten days old. When I asked Josephine how many children she had, she said,
"Lots!"
She gently placed Agnes into my arms and as she opened her eyes and softly yawned, the first thing that came to my mind was...
"Can I have?"
Not to keep, but to hold, to nurture, to love, to watch her grow and maybe be a teacher to this Tiny Little Girl!!

No comments: