Penelope

Monday, June 11, 2012

A Tiny Silver Book, again

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I love to read. The End. Curled up on the sofa, cozy blanket over my feet, book in my lap. On the Exercise bike, at the gym, a book doesn't fit so will on the holder. Thankfully, there is the Kindle or the IPad readily available for and hour of uninterrupted reading. When the e-reader first came out, I said that there was no way I would get one. I love the feel of a book, the weight of a book, the ease of going back to re-read a passage that caught my attention. I love the way books stand at attention on the shelf, just waiting for me to pull them down to read again. I love them stacked on the floor by the bed or on the nightstand or on the table in the hall. But, one day, while browsing through Borders, the Sony reader caught my eye. The sign above it proclaimed "100 FREE books". That was enticing enough to make me try it out. I got one and downloaded the books, all 100 classics, and read my way through all of the books that I hadn't read since high school. Books that I HAD to read for English class, books that I didn't get the full meaning when I wa rushing to read them to write a paper or take a test. How delightful to discover these once again, reading them with new eyes and new perspective. How delightful to discover that I could carry so many books on a device that fit right in my handbag. No more carrying four or five novels in my suitcase on a business trip for nightly reading. I found that there was a place in my life for an electronic reader. But, I still bought lots and lots of hardback books. Lots and lots of books. Stacks and Stacks of Books. Later, I was given a Kindle and then an IPad. Love that I can read on the Kindle, the Ipad, even my Iphone in a pinch when waiting...hello, DMV. I still buy books in hardback form, but I do enjoy being able to take a library with me whereever I go! AND, the best part, I can take my Jane Austen with me everywhere I go! Happy Reading!

No comments: