Penelope

Monday, June 29, 2009

A Tiny Little Map

Last week, I went to orientation and training for my new job. The drive from my house to the interstate can be long and arduous, passing house after house, field after field, over a river, over a lake, down a curving road.
On this trip, I took a different route to the interstate, one that passed fields, rivers and farms...beautiful farms with grand names and perfectly green meadows, dotted with horses and a few cows. Some of the farms had deliberately planted rows of trees, marching up the hillsides and disappearing back down over into the valleys. Some of the farms had wild groves of tress that looked like they had been there for hundreds of years, with driveways and roads carved into the fields next to them. I saw an old church, complete with stone walls and a carved limestone cross. I saw more white fences than I have seen anywhere except for Middle Tennessee.

In the place where I was staying, I had no internet access for my computer. I could get access on my phone, but it is really hard to do a lot of typing on that little screen! So, instead of staying in my room, I took a drive or two.

I explored back roads and one evening, I just drove south for about 45 minutes, taking in the beauty of the mountains, the warm air rushing by. And in those peaceful moments, I found the simple pleasure of an afternoon drive. The smells of fresh cut grass, honeysuckle and wild flowers perfumed the air and it was nice, very nice.

Taking a route, never taken before, can be a gift all in itself.

No comments: