Penelope

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Tiny Silver Book 6



Yesterday, I had the pleasure of working at the Book Fair at a local elementary school. Surrounded by the best titles Scholastic had to offer...I was delighted!
Things have changed since my daughter was in elementary school. Now, there is a little bar code scanner to ring up the sale, with a little machine that prints out a receipt. Better than the days of having to count books at the end of the day and do a written report.
The children were excited to come to the Fair and there were several who were disappointed that they hadn't brought any money. My friend, who is the librarian, assured them that if they didn't buy a book, they could still check one out, so everyone could have a book to read.
The two most popular books for the older children were various editions of "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and "Coke or Pepsi". Neither title held a lot of appeal for me, however, I do believe I know where many of the Facebook quizzes come from!!
I was excited that the children were happy to see the books and many of those who bought a book or checked out a book were seen reading as they walked out the door. Instilling a love of reading in a child is one of the greatest gifts you can give them.
I started reading "Scat" in between my customers yesterday and hope to be able to finish it tomorrow. If not, I may have to buy it and bring it home!
There are so may fabulous books out there for children and if your child does not like to read...find something he or she is interested in...whether it be Star Wars, Barbie or Wimpy Kids...encourage them to read and soon they will branch out into other books.
Happy reading and if you get a chance, read to your child, your teen or your mom...I know they will love to hear you reading to them.

No comments: