Penelope

Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Tiny Silver Book 5

As you know, I love to read. And while my taste runs to fiction, I like a variety of reading material. Having said that, my friends, if you write a book, you should let me know. I will buy it. I will read it. And I will recommend it to those who also share my love for books. Just let me know where I can get a copy. Even if it is about physics or chemistry...
So, imagine my delight, when I saw a note on Facebook that a friend from the old days has a new book coming out! I pre-ordered it and discovered two others that he had written. Ordered them too. Have read one, liked it, and the other is on the top of my list.
I like his writing style. I remember him mostly as a friend of my sister, someone who would come over and play games and talk about books. Someone I loved to listen to as he debated the worthiness of words while playing Scattergories. Good times.

In the past week or so, I read Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. Both books are filled with some of my favorite things; medieval times, cathedrals, religious imagery, architecture, treachery, conflict, war, knights, red wool cloth. I had heard a lot about both of the books and was hesitant to dive in, but found them easy to follow and full of intertwined stories. Thumbs up.

One of the teachers at my daughter's school co-wrote a book about Leonardo DaVinci...can't wait to start that one...after I finish Math and the Mona Lisa by Dr. Bulent Atalay!

Someday, I would hope to have enough shelves to put all of my books out so I can get to them anytime, instead of rotating them, like a bookmobile! But for now, I'll just read a little at a time!

No comments: