Penelope

Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Tiny Silver Pencil


I went to a meeting today with the college counselor at my darling daughter's school. She is a junior and the testing and application processes have begun. When I started filling out forms, I commented to my mother that I didn't remember all of this when I was applying to college. She replied that she was the one who filled everything out...so no wonder I don't remember!
The counselor had prepared an extensive list of schools she is interested in attending, with size, tuition, grades requires, test scores required, etc. I was amazed at the amount of information we received...thank you very much Ms. Nobles!
We have made some plans to attend tours/Open Houses at the top 4 schools during Winter Break and....
WAIT JUST A MINUTE...do you know what this means?!
I will soon be the mom of a college student...how did that happen?!

Before long, I will no longer see her before bed each night, nor will I greet her with a "Good Morning, sweetheart" before school.

Before I break down into a sobbing mess...let's look at this a little differently...

She has attended a fantastic school since Pre-K, which is a college prep school, so what did I think she was going to do after graduation? That's right, go to college!

She is bright, curious, intelligent, caring, positive, cheerful, smart, sensible, a good friend and a warrior for those whose voices yearn to be heard. And one of the most beautiful people I have ever met.

I am excited for her to journey towards being a grown up person, someone who will make a difference and change the lives of others.

She is the kind of person I would like to have for a friend.

No matter where she ends up going to school, near, far, big school, little school...she is always in my heart, no matter where she goes.

So, grab your pencil, color in those dots, sign those applications and take the world by storm!!

3 comments:

Melinda Speece said...

Are you sure she isn't still just eighteen months old?

Melanie said...

I think I kind of get stuck at five...really big hairbow, dress with a big collar, little white ankle socks, mary jane shoes, sitting on my lap, or coloring as her little table...and that smile....what can I say!

Grandmother said...

Now that I have finally figured out how to get on the blog, this brought back so many memories of Chelsea. First how she always seems to enjoy coming to Franklin to visit Grandmother and Arnie and how much we enjoy having her here. Going shopping, going to her favorite places to eat and how wonderful she has always been to her cousins. Doing the things they wanted to do even when there were other things she would have enjoyed. I will always remember our times making banana bread together, even when I dropped the eggs in the floor. What a special young lady!