Penelope

Friday, January 27, 2012

Tiny Silver Swim Fins



My sister is the swimmer in the family. I do not like to put my face in the water. I like to swim like a puppy, head up, facing forward, nose out of range of the water.

A work out friend suggested a class called Finning. Back and forth in the pool, fins on your feet, hands on a kickboard, face out of the water. I figured even I could do this, probably wouldn't drown.

So, I go to the class in my bathing suit that fit last summer and the summer before, but not so well now. I get in and she showed me the basic strokes.

Soon I was gliding through the water like Flipper!! When the class started, the first laps, I was third in line...behind a leisurely finner. The second set of laps, I manuevered to the front and offered to be the guinea pig to learn the new stroke.

Out in front, I plowed through the water with all of the grace I could. Made it back to the starting point and turned for another lap, the other students behind me. I felt like I could do this for hours. It was a great workout, both cardio and strength training.

As a matter of fact, I liked it so much, I ordered my own fins and kickboard...and thankfully, still don't have to put my face in the water!

No comments: